Tuesday, 22 May 2012
Pink lemonade cupcakes
This morning, i made a batch of pink lemonade cupcakes. The weather has suddenly become so sunny and i am in a summer mood. I thought i would share the recipe:
115g(4oz) of self raising flour
1/4 tsp of baking powder
115g (4oz) butter or margarine
115g(4oz) caster sugar
2 large eggs
Pink food colouring
55g(2oz) granulated sugar
Juice of 1 small lemon
115g (4oz) unsalted butter
juice and zest from half a lemon
4 tbsp double cream
225g (8oz) icing sugar
pink food colouring
1. Preheat the over to 180 degrees/Gas mark 4.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the butter, caster sugar and eggs. Beat until smooth and then add pink food colouring to make a pale pink batter.
3. Spoon the mixture into paper cases and bake for 15-20 mins.
4. While the cakes are in the oven, place the granulated sugar and lemon juice into a saucepan and heat, stirring gently, until the sugar has dissolved. Leave the mixture 15 mins to cool.
5. When the cakes are ready, prick them with a scewer all over and brush over the sugar and lemon syrup. Leave the cakes to cool.
6. To make the buttercream, place the butter, lemon juice and lemon zest into a bowl. Mix together until pale and creamy. Add in the cream and then sift in the icing sugar. Beat for 2-3 mins until light and fluffy and then add the pink food colouring.
5. Use a knife to swirl the buttercream on top of the cakes once cooled. Add sprinkles around the edge and decorate with a straw.
My neighbour very much approves. I am allergic to citrus so cannot eat them. Let me know if you make them and how you get on.
© Gingerlillytea | All rights reserved.