Just over a year ago, i did a tutorial on walnut shell sailing boats. I made fabric flags for them and dotted them around the house. I was in the kitchen, sorting out the flowers on the windowsill and thinking about some ideas for valaentine gifts and remembered that my dear friend, Stacy, from stylemyparty sent me a care package full of craft bits for the girls. Inside were some book page cut our hearts on sticks and i knew that i wanted to make some more sailing boats and use them for valentine gifts for Elle to give to her friends. I shall do a quick tutorial on how to do them.
You will need:
1. Half walnut shells (washed). I got mine last year from my Aunty and Uncles garden but i have seen them around many supermarkets recently such as Asda and Morrisons.
2. Some heart cut outs and cocktail sticks
3. A lighter/matches
4. A candle/wax stick
5. You can opt to use glitter or spray paint also. I spray painted two shells gold and also added gold and red glitter into the wax.
1. Burn a candle until there is a pool of wax under the wick.
2. Pour the wax into the shell, until it is filled up.
3. Hold in the cocktail stick until the wax has dried. This usually takes around 30 seconds.
As i said, you can decorate these as you wish. They look lovely just as they are or you can paint the shells, add glitter or anything your heart desires. Maybe let your child decorate the shells before you add the flags. They could do different decorations for each of their friends by choosing their friends favourite colour paint/glitter for example.
Let me know if you make these. I would love to see!