"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch"
Red nose day is coming up on the 13th March and for the second time, HomeSense is a proud partner of Comic Relief. HomeSense and TK Maxx have collaborated with the designer Henry Holland to provide limited edition products so budding bakers can get messy in the kitchen and bake something funny for money. The range includes a Henry Holland designed apron and tea towel and a selection of journals featurning quotes from Oscar Wilde, Hannah Horvath and girls and Baldrick from blackadder.
Mia and i decided to get messy in our aprons and bake some cakes to show the apron in action! We made vanilla cupcakes and Mia made funny smiley faces on her cakes. We even added a little bit of jam in the middle s out cakes had their very own "red nose" centre!
To make our "Red Nose" centered cakes, you can follow our recipe below:
You will need:
225g Self Rasing Flour
225g Caster Sugar
tsp of baking powder
Drop of Vanilla Essence
Icing Sugar and water
Decorations of your choice
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees
2. Mix the butter and sugar together in a bowl until creamy
3. Add the eggs and vanilla essence
4. Mix the baking powder in with the flour and add to the cake mixture
5. Bake for 12-15 mins until golden brown
6. Once the cupcakes are baked and cooled, you need to make a small hole with a knife on top of the cake and carefully lift off the top. Scoop a little bit of jam into the centre of the cake and then add the cut off top back on to conceal the jam.
7. Add some icing to the cake and decorate as you wish. Mia used Smarties, white chocolate stars, hundreds and thousands and chocolate curls. We used smarties as eyes and and a nose and the stars as a mouth.
8. Eat eat eat!!!!
To buy your very own apron, you can visit the site here. Profits from the sale of each item will all go to Comic Relief to help people living incredibly tough lives across Africa and here in the UK. This apron is perfect for those wanting to rise to the occasion and get fundraising with bake sales and tea parties!
(The picture of Mia and i was taken by my mother in return for some cakes!)
This post is in collaboration with HomeSense